Saturday 18 October 2008

Further Evidence of our Changing Climate



After the last two summers in England we should be used to unseasonal rain, but the storms in this part of Morocco have caught everbody off guard. Not only in the Middle and High Atlas where they originated, but also in the desert flatlands to the south where we are now. High winds, rain and hail have caused widespread damage to roads, bridges and property. In one town (where we stopped for coffee) it was estimated that one in three homes had been badly damaged or destroyed. Being built traditionally of adobe (mud bricks, rendered with mud and straw) such buildings are particularly vulnerable in heavy rain. Sadly, but not surprisingly, they are slowly being replaced with sand and cement - and so the cycle continues....
Above photos show us fording a flooded bridge and me getting 'roped' into some adobe repairs.

2 comments:

Gailypops said...

Oh bless you lovelies, I feel like a fly on the back seat of you truck, and giggling my wings off. It shocks me about the problems with heavy rains. My limited experience with Morocco found me in a torrential downpour in Fez a few years ago - bit I guess that's miles from where you are. Bet you've got a load of new knowledge from the adobe re-building though, fair play my dear.
Lithuania is still tickling my fancy. Teaching is hilarious (I'll tell you about the private detective who's a magician in his spare time at some point!) and the social life is exhausting. I've finally found a job that doesn't seem like work. Hooray! Lots and lots of love, Gail xxx

Jonnie + Sanna said...

Great to hear from you Gail! Lithuania sounds great - intrigued about the magician.... xxj+sxx